|Working location:||Heřmanova 1088/8, Praha - Holešovice|
|Type of employment:||Full-time work|
|Length of contract:||Limited (temporary)|
|Salary:||1250 - 1700 EUR/month|
|Benefits:||Notebook, Flexible start/end of working hours, Holidays 5 weeks, Education allowance, Occasional work from home, Individual schedules of working hours, Opportunity to work up hours|
|Required education:||Education is not important|
|Required languages:||English (Proficient) or Serbian (Advanced) or Albanian (Advanced)|
|Posted by:||CEE Bankwatch Network, z. s.|
CEE Bankwatch Network z. s.
CEE Bankwatch Network campaigns to prevent environmentally and socially harmful impacts of international development finance, and to promote alternative solutions and public participation. It unites 16 member groups in 14 countries in Central and Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Russia. Our headquarters are located in Prague, Czech Republic, but our staff is based in offices across the region. We work with partner organisations ranging from Africa to Central Asia, monitoring public finance projects and promoting environmentally, socially and economically sustainable alternatives. Our diverse staff and its expertise enable Bankwatch to work on a wide range of issues ranging from air pollution to land rights and EU decision-making. Please see bankwatch.org for more information.
Hydropower Campaigner (southeast Europe focus) - CEE Bankwatch Network z. s.
Hydropower Campaigner (southeast Europe focus)Description:
Based in: Central Eastern/Southeast Europe
The campaigner will work as a member of a team focusing on hydropower, mainly in the Western Balkans. The goals are to prevent financing of damaging hydropower projects by European public banks by improving their safeguard policies; to halt subsidies for hydropower and other unsustainable energy by pushing for the application of EU State aid rules, and to push for stronger legislation to prevent subsidies for unsustainable renewable energy at the EU and Energy Community Treaty level.
Bankwatch has, together with its local and international partners, exposed the damage wrought by hydropower in the Balkans and Georgia, prevented financing for several highly damaging hydropower plants, and successfully pushed for tighter provisions in European public banks’ policies. Improvements are still needed though, and the availability of operating subsidies in the Western Balkan countries continues to fuel a boom in small hydropower plants. The current position opening is expected to assist with our work within the region and at the EU level.
● In close cooperation with other Bankwatch staff, devise strategies and positions for our policy input on processes such as the EIB environmental and social policy revision; and revision of relevant EU energy and State aid legislation and guidelines;
● Participate in policy/legislation analysis, advocacy, and providing input for consultations;
● Help support local groups to prevent subsidies for individual hydropower plants and to challenge subsidies already granted;
● Help support local groups to provide comments and plan campaigns during national-level legislative or policy revisions related to renewable energy incentives;
● Coordinate with Bankwatch’s partners, in close cooperation with other Bankwatch staff;
● Contribute to annual planning, budgeting, and fundraising for work on hydropower and unsustainable renewables more generally;
● Produce press releases and communication materials like briefings, reports, studies, blog articles, op-eds and social media content, in close cooperation with Bankwatch’s communications team;
● Represent Bankwatch externally, including to the media and at external events;
● Contribute to the development of Bankwatch’s strategy and tactics on energy issues beyond the specific campaign on district heating in the Western Balkans;
● The campaigner will report to and be managed by the Campaigns Director.
● Strong commitment to the values, vision and mission of CEE Bankwatch Network;
● At least three years' experience in working with an NGO at regional or international level, including advocacy work and campaigning on energy and/or biodiversity issues;
● Knowledge of national and/or EU renewable energy, environmental or State aid policy and legislation;
● Experience in campaigning against problematic infrastructure projects and in using the lessons learned to push for policy or legal changes;
● Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising, research, planning, lobbying, communications), including proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
● Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds: decision-makers at high- and working-level, MEPs, NGOs, Bankwatch member groups and partners, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media, etc.;
● Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
● Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
● A pro-active but sensitive and fair approach to colleagues and partners.
Highly desirable attributes:
● Knowledge of one of the Western Balkan languages;
● Experience in project management;
● Creativity: able to think outside the box and find new ways to campaign;
● Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel
The position is based in any of the Bankwatch or member group offices in Central-Eastern Europe.
We offer a salary between EUR 1250 to 1700 gross per month, depending on location as well as experience.
Salary will be subject to the labour tax system of the country where the campaigner will be based.
We offer a one-year contract for the position. Dependent on funding, we intend to continue the post beyond the 12-month period.
Send us your motivation letter, including a CV, by midnight 23rd September
Interviews are scheduled for the week of September 28th.
Bankwatch strives to provide equal opportunities to all applicants. You'll be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, skin colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability status.
Information regarding this vacancy:
Heřmanova 1088/8, Praha - Holešovice
Type of employment:
CEE Bankwatch Network, z. s.
Heřmanova 1088/8, 17000 Praha 7 - Holešovice, Česká republika