|Working location:||Heřmanova 1088/8, Praha - Holešovice|
|Type of employment:||Full-time work|
|Length of contract:||Limited (temporary)|
|Type of employment:||Employment contract|
|Benefits:||Notebook, Flexible start/end of working hours, Holidays 5 weeks, Education allowance, Occasional work from home, Individual schedules of working hours, Opportunity to work up hours, International conferences|
|Required education:||Education is not important|
|Required languages:||English (Proficient)|
|Posted by:||CEE Bankwatch Network, z. s.|
CEE Bankwatch Network z. s.
CEE Bankwatch Network campaigns to prevent environmentally and socially harmful impacts of international development finance, and to promote alternative solutions and public participation. It unites 15 member groups in 14 countries in Central and Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Russia. Our headquarters are located in Prague, Czech Republic, but our staff is based in offices across the region. We work with partner organisations ranging from Africa to Central Asia, monitoring public finance projects and promoting environmentally, socially and economically sustainable alternatives. Our diverse staff and its expertise enable Bankwatch to work on a wide range of issues ranging from air pollution to land rights and EU decision-making. Please see bankwatch.org for more information.
Coordinator of Just Transition for Western Balkans - CEE Bankwatch Network z. s.
Coordinator of Just Transition for Western BalkansDescription:
Based in: Southeast/ Central-Eastern Europe
Deadline: 20 January 2021 (start date as soon as possible)
The coordinator will work as a member of a team working to deliver Bankwatch's vision and strategy on climate and energy. In particular this position will focus on Bankwatch's work towards a fossil-fuel free Europe, with a focus on coal dependent regions in the Western Balkans re-developing beyond coal. The goal is to promote a just transition model based on locally-designed public policies to create the context for a fair income and a decent life for all workers and communities affected by pollution reduction measures and coal phase out.
A Platform to support coal regions in transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine was launched in October 2020, with two IFIs at the center of this initiative - The World Bank and the EBRD, with institutional support from the European Commission and the Energy Community Secretariat.
The Coordinator is expected to coordinate with local partners in pushing the agenda for a participatory just transition on the national level in the Western Balkans and to some extent in Ukraine, to closely monitor the work of the Platform and ensure that it is inclusive and participatory, and that it finances only sustainable projects.
- Lead the development of Bankwatch’s position, expertise and strategies on just transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine in close cooperation with Bankwatch coal team members and colleagues working on the topic on EU level.
- Lead regional-level advocacy work on just transition;
- Lead advocacy work towards IFIs on the issue;
- Support groups, specifically in our Western Balkan network, and to a smaller extent in Ukraine, in engaging with the Platform stakeholders, planning and organising visits of the Platform Secretariat to coal regions, monitoring the pilot projects selection etc.;
- Coordinate with the 'Europe Beyond Coal' campaign and its working groups, in close cooperation with other members of the Bankwatch coal and transformation teams;
- Coordinate activities and strategies with key allies; strengthen the movement of development past coal and promote sustainable territorial just transition plans;
- Contribute to annual planning, budgeting, and fundraising for Bankwatch work on fossil fuels, in particular related to just transition;
- Produce press releases and communication materials like briefings, reports, studies, blog articles, op-eds and social media content, in close cooperation with Bankwatch communications team;
- Represent Bankwatch externally, including to the media and at external events;
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, events and policy developments;
- Contribute to the development of Bankwatch’s strategy and tactics on energy issues beyond the specific campaign on just transition in the Western Balkans;
- The campaigner will report to and be task managed by the coordinator of the Balkan Coal team.
- Strong commitment to the values, vision and mission of CEE Bankwatch Network;
- At least three years' experience in working with an NGO at regional or international level, including advocacy work and campaigning on energy and/or climate issues.
- Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising, research, planning, lobbying, communications), including proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds, such as decision-makers at high- and working-level, MEPs, NGOs, Bankwatch member groups and partners, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media, etc.;
- Experience in project management;
- Good understanding of European energy and/or climate policy;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Knowledge of relevant languages constitutes an advantage;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues and a pro-active but sensitive and fair approach to colleagues and partners;
- Creativity: able to think outside the box and find new ways to campaign;
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
The position is based in any of the Bankwatch or member group offices in Central-Eastern or Southeast Europe.
We offer a one-year contract for the position. Dependent on funding, we intend to continue the post beyond the 12-month period.
Bankwatch strives to provide equal opportunities to all applicants. You'll be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, skin colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability status.
Please apply by sending us your motivation letter, including a CV, by midnight January 20th, 2021.
Interviews are scheduled for the week of 25 January 2021.
To apply, click on the REPLY at the bottom of the page.
Information regarding this vacancy:
Heřmanova 1088/8, Praha - Holešovice
Type of employment:
CEE Bankwatch Network, z. s.
Heřmanova 1088/8, 17000 Praha 7 - Holešovice, Česká republika